Electrical Engineer, Firmware
Category: Engineering R&D
Location: Portland, OR
SIG SAUER® world renowned firearms are the weapons of choice for many of the premier global military, law enforcement and commercial users. In our world-class facilities, we build the toughest, most precise rifles, pistols, suppressors, optics, ammunition, and air guns, while offering the finest firearms training — all as a fully integrated system. We do this because we share the same drive to be the best, the same love of freedom, the same unwillingness to compromise — as those who choose SIG.
The tremendous growth of SIG SAUER has fueled outstanding opportunities for experienced professionals to join our team.
This is a product development and design engineering position within Sig Sauer’s Electro-Optics division. Hardware / Firmware engineer will be responsible for circuit board design (schematics and layout) and firmware / source code development (MCU and FPGA) for new products including remote sensing, LED illumination and power management. The position will be 20% hardware design, 70% microcontroller / embedded systems development and 10% iOS and Android app development.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
Create PCBA schematics and layout in Altium.Work with PCBA suppliers on new products and contract manufacturers as necessary.
Develop source code for common MCU platforms including TI, Atmel, NXP and other common MCUs including Bluetooth modules such as Rigado / Nordic systems.
Take new product concepts through all aspects of the product development cycle ultimately resulting in a producible and innovative product including development of test equipment and procedures for manufacturing support.
Ensure a seamless transition from prototype to a fully developed and manufactured product.
Design and evaluate alternative components and/or process changes to improve efficiency, product performance, and reduce cost.
Represent the organization as a technical information source.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering / Software Engineering required.
- Minimum of five years recent related experience in source code development for embedded systems.
- Must possess excellent customer service, communication (oral and written), and time management skills.
- Individual must be creative, self-motivated, and an independent thinker.
- Candidate must possess prior project management experience with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience with SolidWorks, Altium and other development tools such as Kiel or IAR.
- Aptitude for detail with the ability to work in a team environment required.
- Firearm and sports optics experience along with a knowledge of the shooting sports industry strongly preferred.
- Some travel required
Able to lift up to 25 pounds
Must wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) which is required in designated areas.
SIG SAUER, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status or any other basis covered by appropriate law.